- Listed: January 13, 2020 11:22 pm
- Expires: 99321 days, 4 hours
Here are 7 powerful steps you can take to get started today:
- Move More. Get up, get out, and get moving. Walk, dance, bike ride, swim, or play ball with your friends or family. It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you enjoy it. Try different things to keep it fun.
Make Healthy Food Choices. Focus on eating less. Eat fiber-rich fruits and vegetables each day. Choose whole grain foods such as whole wheat bread and crackers, oatmeal, brown rice, and cereals. Cut down on fatty and fried foods. You still can have foods you enjoy, just eat smaller servings. Choose water to drink.
- Take Off Some Weight. Once you start eating less and moving more, you will lose weight. By losing just 10 pounds, you can cut your chances of getting diabetes.
- Set Goals You Can Meet. Start by making small changes. Try being active for 15 minutes a day this week. Then each week add 5 minutes until you build up to at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. Try to cut 150 calories out of your diet each day (that’s one can of soda!). Slowly reduce your calories over time. Talk to your health care team about your goals.
- Record Your Progress. Write down all the things you eat and drink and the number of minutes you are active. Keeping a diary is one of the best ways to stay focused and reach your goals.
- Seek Help. You don’t have to prevent diabetes alone. Ask your family and friends to help you out. Involve them in your activities. You can help each other move more, eat less, and live a healthy life. Go for a walk together or play a pick-up game of basketball. Join a support group in your area to help you stay on track.
- Keep at It. Making even small changes is hard in the beginning. Try to add one new change a week. If you get off track, start again and keep at it.
Take your first step today. Talk to your healthcare team about your risk for type 2 diabetes and the small steps you can take to prevent it.
805 total views, 1 today